Subscribe Now - Get them delivered to your inbox every Tuesday.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get them delivered to your inbox every Tuesday.
OK, so everyone is talking about it. Most of us are doing it.. but are we enjoying it?
Before we go any further…
Social media is powerful stuff. So powerful, in fact, that it has overtaken pornography as the number one activity on internet! (Social progress?). So powerful that one in eight American couples met via the internet. So powerful that YouTube is the #2 most popular search engine behind Google.
So what does this mean for small business?
Small business thrives on building personal relationships, something the big boys will always struggle with. You have the opportunity to get to know your customers intimately and offer a service custom-built for them. If you can do this they will be your friends for life. I’ll give you an example. I just joined Schmooze – a business networking group. Within 2 hours the organisation’s founder had added me as a Facebook friend, added me to the Schmooze Facebook group, followed me on Twitter and even notified me of a typo in my Twitter profile (how embarrassing!). With a few mouse clicks he’s given me exactly what I was after – access to a professional network. Now I’m part of his tribe, a friend for life.. and that’s before I’ve attended a single formal event.
How can you leverage social media in your business?
• Start a blog. Add some useful content – recipes, website links, beauty tips…. Share this with your customers. Better still, ask them what they would like to see. Ask them to post their questions and share your responses.
• Post a testimonial on your hairdresser’s Facebook page. (See what happens next…)
• Contribute your expertise to a discussion group.
• Use social media to ‘position yourself’ appropriately for your target market. If you are a personal trainer, post an update about your City2Surf success. If you are a photographer, send your client list a link to your latest Flickr update.
Social media is here to stay. It’s a nice way to stay in touch with your friends, but it’s also a very powerful business tool. Make the most of it.
The Small Fish team is embracing social media in a big way. Talk to us about how you can use social media to drive your business forward.
There are four ways you can engage with me:
1. Subscribe to these emails and get them once a week in your inbox so you never miss a video from me.
2. Join the Trades Business Toolshed Facebook Group where you can watch these videos, ask me questions or talk to your peers.
3. Attend my next Tools Down workshop.
4. Book yourself a 10-minute chat with me. We’ll talk about whether coaching is right for you now and if it is, we’ll go further into the process before you have to make your mind up.
See you later.