Subscribe Now - Get them delivered to your inbox every Tuesday.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get them delivered to your inbox every Tuesday.
Too Busy – There’s no such thing (Hint: You’re Procrastinating – Manage your time better)
Hi it’s Jon here. Today’s Toolbox Tip is: ‘There’s no such thing as ‘too busy.’
“I’m too busy to do that.”
“I’m too busy to that difficult thing, that uncomfortable thing, that big hard job.”
Well I’m calling…I’m calling bullshit on you.
I’m Jon, I’m from Small Fish Business Coaching. I run the Tradies Toolbox Coaching Program. It’s a coaching program for the owners of trades businesses who maybe need to get over a little bit of their own bullshit so they can build the business they want (Maybe that’s you).
I hear this stuff all the time. I hear it from my clients:
“Jon, I didn’t do the thing we discussed, I got too busy.”
Or “I was on-site, I had to go to site, you know, the guy didn’t show up, had to go and swing a hammer.”
Or, “I had clients; had to go and sort this out, you know, I didn’t do it. I couldn’t do that job that I agreed was important to me because I had to see the client, because I had to go to site, because I had to fight fires, because there was a pour I needed to attend to.”
All sorts of things get in the way of doing the difficult, tricky thing that you told me was important. It’s not just my clients, I hear it all the time from people who do or don’t take me on as their coach and it’s kind of like it was out of your hands. It’s kind of like it wasn’t your fault. Well like fuck it wasn’t your fault because it was your fault. You made a choice.
I’m sorry to be so hard but you did.
- You chose to do what you did do instead of the thing you were going to do.
- You chose to jump and go to see that client when he clicked his fingers like that instead of doing the difficult and uncomfortable job that will help you improve your business and not have to work for clients who click their fingers so you’ll come running.
- You’ve chosen an immediate reward – sorting out a quick problem – rather than a future reward (but perhaps a bigger one) – but one you won’t see for ages.
And what that is of course, is procrastination. You procrastinated. Isn’t that a horrid word?
Here’s the lesson: it’s never out of your hands, there is always a choice.
You must not pretend that you don’t have any choices because you do and because you should be making the right choices.
If you want to grow your business, if you want to turn it into the business that you want, that gives you freedom and plenty of cash, then you’re going to have to spend the time doing those difficult things that will grow it. And you have to not allow yourself… to give yourself excuses like ‘I had to’ for not doing that shit. Sorry about that.
I’m a coach as I said, my program is for people who want to change. Part of that is making a positive decision to change, and part of that is making a decision to not bullshit to yourself.
So if you bullshit or if you’re a procrastinator, I would like you to do me a little favor and write, like with Alcoholics Anonymous, in the comments box down below.
- “Hi, my name is _______” (and write your name) and say, “I am a procrastinator.”
- Or if you’re really brave and you can handle the ridicule that will come your way, “I’m a bullshitter.”
Let’s have a bit of fun with this one. See you later!