Mindfulness in the Workplace
The brain is an interesting thing. I attended an Australian Institute of Management (AIM) webinar on how the brain works – neuroscience. Of particular interest to me was how it reacts to certain things perceived as threats. Obviously each of us has different triggers but they can be bundled into threats to:
Once the brain perceives a threat, the hormones that it releases, causes the following responses:
• The capacity to have insight is reduced
• You generalise
• You err on the side of pessimism.
Meanwhile the manager just appointed you as the new frontline manager and doesn’t understand why you are hyperventilating!
To improve our reactions the presenters said that it starts with being aware – mindfulness.
Acknowledge when you are having a threat response, label the emotion behind it (fear, anger, sadness etc.) then re-frame the threat as an opportunity – a new challenge. This will then allow the “thinking” part of your brain to look for a new solution. When this part of the brain kicks in, the other hormones kick in that enable:
• A focus on solutions
There are four ways you can engage with me:
1. Subscribe to these emails and get them once a week in your inbox so you never miss a video from me.
2. Join the Trades Business Toolshed Facebook Group where you can watch these videos, ask me questions or talk to your peers.
3. Attend my next Tradie Profit Webinar.
4. Book yourself a 10-minute chat with me. We’ll talk about whether coaching is right for you now and if it is, we’ll go further into the process before you have to make your mind up.
See you later.