Abattoirs Of The Human Soul
More TED inspiration. An idea worth spreading – How to Achieve Work-Life Balance
Nigel Marsh (author of Fat, Forty and Fired talks about one of our favourite subjects – how to achieve work-life balance. He makes some good points (and his perfect day sounds pretty good, too)
• Certain job and career choices are incompatible with being meaningfully engaged on a day-to-day basis with a young family.
• Even the good corporations (not so much small businesses, perhaps? We’re run by people and people care. Big companies lose that human sense) are set up to wring as much out of us as possible. It’s up to us to achieve it for ourselves because they won’t. (They are the abbatoires of the human soul – the bad ones, anyway)
• Elongate time frame over which you judge balance
• Approach balance with balance – you need to attend to your emotional, physical, intellectual and spiritual sides. And small things count.
I sort of agree with him, at least that it is something we want and that we need to take charge of it for ourselves. But even in an incompatible job, you can take charge and I’m still stuck with my own personal view of work-life balance. Do less work. Simple.
Small Fish Business Coach Byron Bay
There are four ways you can engage with me:
1. Subscribe to these emails and get them once a week in your inbox so you never miss a video from me.
2. Join the Trades Business Toolshed Facebook Group where you can watch these videos, ask me questions or talk to your peers.
3. Attend my next Tradie Profit Webinar.
4. Book yourself a 10-minute chat with me. We’ll talk about whether coaching is right for you now and if it is, we’ll go further into the process before you have to make your mind up.
See you later.